We keep SD cards for extra storage. But what if now you do not need that data? You can always format your SD cards for creating space for new data. Oops, formatted something important? We will take you on a tour from formatting to unformatting your SD card.
Formatting the SD card
Formatting the SD card can be done with the help of Windows Explorer.
- First, you have to insert your SD card into the card reader and connect it to your computer.
- After it is connected, open “This PC” and select windows explorer.
- You will see an option for an SD card. Right-click on the SD card.
- A dialog box will appear, now click on the “format” option.
- A dialog box will appear with the name Format Tracy. In that, you have to specify the system of file and give a new label to your SD card.
- Tap on “Start” and “OK” to start formatting your SD card.
Another method of how to format SD card is using the management tools like EaseUS Partition Master. The initial process remains the same.
- Insert your SD card into the card reader and then connect it to your computer.
- Run the software.
- From there, choose your SD card and right click it;
- Several choices will be presented, just choose Format to go on.
Now, all you have to do is set a label of SD card and select a new file system from FAT32, exFAT, or NTFS.
Unformatting the SD card
There are methods to recover or unformat the SD card. It is possible because even after formatting, the data remains unaffected until it’s overwritten. Once you start uploading new data in it, the formatted data is overwritten. But you have already uploaded new data, so it is not possible to retrieve the older one. Hence, if you wish to unformat the SD card, then do before using it.
The most efficient way of unformatting SD cards or performing data recovery is using professional hard drive data recovery software. These software scan the SD card, and they are capable of recovering the data. Such software also helps you to recover data after the reinstallation of your operating system. You can also use them to recover data from USB flash, memory stick, or any hard drive.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a recommended one.
- First, you have to install the software and then launch it on your computer.
- After that open it, and choose your SD card.
- Click on your SD card to start the scan.
- Once it is done, you can look for desired files using a filter and search options. You can also preview any files by double-clicking on it.
- Select the files you want to unformat.
- You will see a blue color button with “Recovery” written on it. Click on it, and your job is done.
Another method of performing the unformatting of the SD card is using the command prompt.
- Open the command prompt. You can do this by searching it in the Start menu with writing “cmd” in the search box.
- Once the command prompt window opens, type “chkdsk F: /f “ and press enter. “F: /f” is a file, you can choose the file in which the SD card is placed.
- Something will appear on the window, and next to it, type “Y” and press enter.
- Something will again appear, and next to it, type “F” and press enter key again.
- Now for last step, type “F:\>attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* “ and press enter key.
- After this step, your SD card has been unformatted. You can open it to check the data.